Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Embarrassing!

Have you ever been embarrassed to buy something?





I have to admit, this little guy caused me to turn a little red when I bought him from my favorite resale shop last year.  This is a dung beetle, I've been told, encased in clear plastic.  He was only fifty cents.





I was ecstatic when I spotted him, and couldn't believe my good fortune at finding such a neat thing to put on my table.  The ladies who checked me out were less than excited though!  They kept saying "ooh, yuck, look at this!  I am glad it can't get out!  What are you going to do with it?!"  I just laughed and got myself out of there with my encased beetle.





When I got home, my embarrassment quickly faded.  I think he is the perfect accent sitting on top of a stack of books.  My nephews thought it was especially cool too!  I am on the hunt for more of them.  I would love to have a bug collection, encased in plastic of course!






I was quick to notice that my obsession with preserved insects is not strange.  In the family room of one of my favorite houses in Lonny Magazine, sits a fellow encased insect.  You can kind of see it in the upper left hand picture on top of the small red book.  It is nice to know that I am not abnormal, in this regard anyway!



No comments:

Post a Comment