Wednesday, March 16, 2011

East Coast Style

I got my latest issue of House Beautiful Monday and I have been enjoying it this week.  I was really inspired by the cottage in Maine designed by Tom Scheerer.  Here are the pictures from House Beautiful in case you missed it.





Outside shot of the summer home on Somes Sound in Maine.





I really feel drawn to this room!  It is an interesting mix to say the least.  From the Victorian sofa, to the Saarinen coffee table, to the wicker chairs, to the chintz curtains, to the ornate Empire mirror, it looks like a mish mash of furnishings collected over time.  But, I'm sure there was a plan behind the combination.  It wasn't just thrown together haphazardly!





The dining room, with a mix of formal scenic wallpaper and informal bentwood chairs and sea grass rug.





I keep opening my magazine to this picture to study it.  I love the tufted sofa and the vintage rattan coffee table.  The circle on the table is actually a vintage basketball hoop.  I also love the lamps and of course the chintz curtains.





The staircase, with its fun collection of bird prints.  The runner brings so much interest to the stairs.





The master bedroom is a mix of patterns and colors, but still feels very soothing!




Not a typical boy's bedroom!  The wallpaper is the very trendy Spatter by Hinson.  I love how it is mixed with an old quilt and a bed inherited from grandma!






More great wallpaper in this bedroom!





I would love to spend the summer in this bedroom!  Tom Scheerer says that the fabric used in this room is very granny, but he updated it with an unusual headboard that spans behind two twin beds.  The striped bed spreads also give it an edge.





The kitchen banquette.





The porch filled with wicker furniture, a necessity for a summer house!



While looking at the pictures of this house, I kept thinking it reminded me of another designer whose work I really admire, Jeffrey Bilhuber.  It turns out that Tom and Jeffrey had a design partnership from 1985 to 1995     Their styles are very similar.  Here are some rooms designed by Jeffrey Bilhuber.












Look at those lime chairs and colorful abstract painting!  Looks gorgeous with the dark walls.




Love the mix of pale blues and corals in this room.  I also like the rug layered on top of the sea grass rug.





I like the wallpaper and the artwork highlighted by picture lights.  I like to use picture lights to accent my artwork also.  I bought mine at Home Depot years ago.  They add nice ambient lighting.


















The above images were found here.

The pictures below are of Jeffrey Bilhuber's own New York home featured in House Beautiful.




















As much as I like a streamlined modern room, I love this almost cluttered style.  It has a real preppy, country club, Nantucket vibe to it.  It is a style that develops over time and lends itself to families with young children. You can put a newspaper down on the coffee table and it won't ruin the look of the whole room like with some styles.  It is very comfortable.

 You don't have to live on the East coast to bring the style to your home!  This style is characterized by:

Traditional furnishings mixed with rattan and wicker and even some modern.  Looks like it was collected over time, or passed down from your grandparents.

Bright happy colors on the walls and furnishings!  Think pale blue, coral, pink, and lime.

Mix of patterns.  Chintz, ticking, florals, "granny."  Using these patterns in unusual ways makes them almost modern.  Granny patterns that are so out of style and unexpected that it makes them seem edgy.

Anything goes artwork.  From elaborate mirrors, to abstract paintings, to portraits, they all work together!

Quirky accessories!


I have always loved this style and seeing the cottage that Tom Scheerer designed just reinforced that.  I am happy that my Staffordshire dogs and abstract paintings can live together in one room!  Now I am off to look through my stash for the fabric piece I never wanted to use because it was too granny!

No comments:

Post a Comment