Sunday, March 27, 2011

Another Cool House!

Ok, I know I said that looking at cool houses made me tired and that my house will never be cool and here I am showing you another cool house!  I can't help myself!  Look how cool this house is!!

Images from here.





The foyer of designer Michael Katz.  Yes that is a chrome bench from the 70s and yes I now want one.





The living room is gorgeous, although so not practical for someone who likes to sit on the couch while eating snacks and has two kids, two dogs, and a husband.  But I do love the vintage chrome chair recovered in a Lee Jofa fabric and the lucite coffee table.  And the lamp.  And the artwork.





The kitchen is black, and modern, and cool.  The bar stools are actually from Pottery Barn!  Who knew Pottery Barn was so cool?





The dining room with a glass table surrounded by Milo Baughman chairs.  I don't really know who that is, but it took the designer two years to collect the set!





A sophisticated living room.  The vintage looking wicker stool is not vintage at all.  It is from Crate and Barrel.






I love the bed in the master bedroom.  And no the walls are not made of cinder blocks.  That is a textured wallpaper.  Not many people would have thought to put an antler chandelier in this room, but it works!





A cool vintage rattan chair in the master bedroom.  Very exotic looking.





Nice bathroom!



So how can you up the cool in your house?



A neutral  palette with shots of color here and there.

Mix different textures and finishes to add interest.  Chrome, wicker, wood, lucite, an animal hide rug.

Clean lined furniture.  Check the thrift stores for vintage 60s and 70s chrome and rattan chairs and tables.

Lamps with simple shades without any fussy beads or trims.

Modern and quirky artwork.  Again, thrift stores and estate sales are excellent places to find unique artwork.

A big wicker/rattan basket to throw all of the kids' toys in!


I don't know about you, but the next time I am at my favorite resale shop and I see something that looks like it was in my home as a kid, I might just give it a second look!  Maybe I can have a cool house after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment